Sunday, January 20, 2008

Evangelism: Everything Changed

During our church service this morning, a song was sung called, "Tell Me When," written by our pastor, Jamie Page. Some of the lyrics are:

When will I look upon Your glory? When will I hear Your voice again?
When will I feel Your restoration? Tell me, Lord, tell me when?
"When you receive My grace, and from your sin you choose to turn away
Receiving the life I have to give.
When you take hold of My hand, and repent of trying to stand alone.
My child, that's when, everything changes!"

He talked about a Christian walking with the Lord for 10-30 years and still not having much fruit to show, still struggling with sin patterns, still not having developed a prayer life, still not having regular times of Bible reading, etc.

I could truly relate to that description and praise God that He brought me from a life of "wasted wealth" (Prov. 29:3) into the Life He has planned for me. God has blessed me with a rich heritage in the Lord, but I didn't want to embrace evangelism. I justified my decision: "That's a special calling that God gives to people called Evangelists." or "NonChristians can see my life and that I live for Christ." or "If they want to know, they'll ask me." I knew that Jesus wanted more for my life in this area, but I wasn't willing to walk away from my comfort zone. I was surrounded by Believers in my comfortable church family and even employment, and didn't want to venture out.

Once I surrendered that area of my life, Everything Changed! The adventure hasn't stopped since!
To feel the presence of the Living God and
look forward to spending time with Him;
To share the wealth of my Christian heritage
with others around me,
and build relationships with nonBelievers
to impact their world for the cause of Christ;
From the guilt-ridden life of failure
in not spending time
reading the Bible on a regular basis,
not engaging in prayer,
and not sharing my faith.
Wow! Everything changed!

No comments: