Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Paradox of My Love and His Forgiveness

"Therefore I say to you, her sins,
which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much.
But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.” Luke 7:47

For years, I felt that my testimony was of no value and that I really had no story to tell about Jesus in my life. As a result of inviting Jesus into my life at an early age and the growth that followed, I didn't have a traumatic past or "backslidden" lifestyle. The Scripture above grated on my spiritual worth and value. I felt that because I had not been forgiven of much, that I subsequently didn't love much.

The deception of the enemy is so subtle in combining truth with lies!

I have come to know that it was true. I really did love little, because I thought I had been forgiven little. However, it had nothing to do with my past! It is all about now. I am learning that humility and repentance is a constant state of being--not in a sadistic way, but in being keenly aware of God's holiness and my sinfulness. Through this focus of heart, I have learned to love more and more because God has forgiven me of so much!
(By the way, in relation to the blog below about Evangelism, I really believe that I had such trouble with sharing my faith because I felt I did not have a testimony. I am so thankful that God has given me a testimony and a heart prepared to share what He has done in my life!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Debra:
I sometimes have the similar feeling, I believe God is around us anytime, but not that strong, I doubted sometime. Anyway, we are growing in Christ, and through the strength He gives us, we are trying to be closer to Him.
Young