Thursday, March 20, 2008

Parenting

In parenting, I have a deep desire for consistency and love. I find that I must continually commit to be consistent and loving. My natural tendency is to get tired and frustrated--letting things slide because I don't want to do deal with them and letting my emotions run the show.

But I see a different possibility. I have seen it in action . . . and that is what I pray. To be a gentle, firm, consistent parent.

I want to be more loving and gentle. Sometimes, I just don't seem to know how.
"And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment." Philippians 1:9

I want to be consistent, even when I'm tired.
"He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly." Proverbs 13:24

I want to delight in my children now--and not always wish they would get over this difficult stage. (After this one, there is another difficult stage, and another, and another . . . ) I want to experience the rest promised in God's Word.
"Correct your son, and he will give you rest; Yes, he will give delight to your soul." Proverbs 29:17

I know and believe that the Living Power of God can change me and cause these things to happen. I believe that He can do the same for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN! I soo agree with you! I wish I could reverse my life and change how I handled things. Funny how hindsight is soo much better! Keep up the good work! It WILL be worth it!