Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hearing Comes After The Word

“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Romans 10:17

I have heard this so often, but have always felt that I was missing something in this verse. Usually, I hear it explained that faith comes from hearing the word of God--which is true. But it just seemed like there was something else in that little word "by."

As I read this verse again this morning, I added words that we normally take out to avoid redundant conversation. So I read it like this, “faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the word of God.” My understanding then was that: as I read His Word, I learn to hear. As I hear Him, I am filled with faith.

Wow! I already knew that I learn to distinguish His voice by spending time with Him. But understanding this verse in a new way is so energizing to my faith.

So, "love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength" (Mark 12:30). Then, as you read His Word, you will learn to hear. As you hear, you will be filled with faith.

No comments: