Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hearing The Voice Of The Lord

As I was reading The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson, I came across a couple paragraphs that talked about four people in his church testifying that a church member who was fatally ill would not die. The church's faith in healing began to increase and they began to celebrate. Unfortunately, three weeks later, this man died.

Anderson writes, “If God was the One who told these four people that Dick wasn’t going to die, what does that make God? A liar. But is God a liar? Of course not; He’s the truth. Lies come from the father of lies: Satan himself. Deceiving spirits had circulated a lie about Dick in an attempt to destroy the congregation’s confidence in God.” p. 133

One of my biggest spiritual struggles has been the desire to hear the voice of the Lord. There have been times that I thought I heard Him speak--only to find out later that the information I received was not accurate. Obviously, God is not a liar, but why can I not hear Him? Especially in light of this verse: "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." John 10:27

I never before considered the possibility of an enemy attack in this area of my spiritual life. It seems like an "a-ha" moment. I suddenly understand that the enemy can plant lies that we think are truth when we're searching! I knew that he is a liar, and these lies pervade Christianity in various areas--I just never saw it apply to specifically searching for the voice of the Lord. The next step is how to combat the lies.

I also remembered having this information from Listening Prayer Guidelines (by the PRT of The Navigators): "Resist the Enemy. Take your place of authority by saying something like, 'In the name of Jesus Christ, I prohibit the enemy from speaking or interfering with this time.'"

Being aware of the problem is always the first step in dealing with it. By the Lord's grace, I now have another tool in my spiritual toolbelt to hear Him and discern His voice . . . rather than hearing mine or the lies of the enemy.

Thank You Lord for Your grace! May Your Truth be made known!

No comments: