Thursday, February 12, 2009

Balance For Life in Abiding, Part 2

“I have so much to do that I spend several hours
in prayer before I am able to do it.” - John Wesley

If the secret to balance is abiding, what is the secret to abiding?

With our eyes focused on the right goal—abiding, rather than balance—we are on the road to success. Balance will eventually come. However, we have not been promised a life without struggles. We must pursue this abiding whether or not we ever attain balance. It is our very survival, spiritually speaking. The root of the problem, for me, is that my heart is really not so desperate for Him. My soul does not really long for His presence so much that I am willing to sacrifice my time, my comforts, or my work. Oh Lord, make us desperate!

This is where fasting can be a way to breakaway and make a radical effort to show the Lord our desires and to show our physical existence that it will be subdued under the Lordship of Christ. “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship” Romans 12:1 (NIV). We must sacrifice our bodies, our schedule, and our time, so that He can breathe His very life into them.

Still, there are practical things in our life that the Lord will teach us when we continually surrender to His training. I have experienced this in the weak areas of my daily schedule. As I persist in submitting that weak area of my schedule to Him, the Lord is so gracious to guide me into a better way. It takes time, but He steadies those areas that are out of balance and brings them into a centered, focused life.

Learning to prioritize my activities and tasks allows me to see what is robbing me, so that I can cut it from my schedule. Simplifying my home and my lifestyle can help bring order and peace into chaos. There are many helpful books written on setting goals, organization and simplifying. They are not, in themselves, the answer. But in our pursuit of the Lord, with our eyes fixed on Him, they can give ideas to lessen stress.

When life takes over, it might be the point in which we need to surrender our time to the Lord. Otto Koenig, missionary to New Guinea, tells of how he eventually experienced freedom and joy in a season in which he no longer had control of his days due to the people taking every moment. His complete story is packaged on CD under the title The Pineapple Story. The second audio explains this battle for time and is available to listen online: http://www.freewebs.com/snakestory/pineapplestory.htm.
The text version is also available: http://missingdoulos.blogspot.com/2007/11/pineapple-story.html.

It is a struggle, a battle, a war . . . that requires resolve and relentless determination to pursue the Lord Who can bring peace, joy, and focus. We must choose to fight. Without His refreshing presence in our life, moment by moment, we have little to give to others. With the power of His Holy Spirit, we can breakaway!

This concept of abiding and “practicing the presence of God” is precious knowledge. But it will do little if not put into practice. It is a secret quite easily forgotten. It is a gift of vitality. It is a costly prize that must be protected with everything that you are. Be relentless! Fight for it! Practice His presence!

“But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night.He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper.” Psalm 1:2-3 (NKJV)


Breakaway
by Ronnie Freeman/Adam Moritz



Do whatever it takes, whatever you need to make a change – to see a new day
Leave it all behind, every lie and substitute for peace and love
These things you long for more ofGet desperate, get hungry
Get tired of, get angry – and
Breakaway, Breakaway/Say goodbye to yesterday
Swing the hammer, crush the chains/and breakaway

That’s why He came – wore the crown, took the pain
All to pay the price for our freedom
So we could have life, real life, real hope, for the future
Not just now but forever
So get desperate, get hungry
Get tired of, get angry, yeah - and
Tired of the same thing, tired of the same game
Tired of the drab and the mundane
Tired of the needless pain, and the selfish gains
And the sin stains, tired of the insane
Tired of the shame, having it my way
Ready for change, ready to sing
And dance in the rain, cause I have a new name
And I have been washed clean

No comments: